welcome starving artists, hood rats, peasants, students, bums, anarchists, hippies, mad clowns & wandering hobos, to
your local source for cheep as free underground happenings post & story time.


2/9/11

How to Eat on a Dime while Patroning Local Small Businesses

-Stephanie

For the past three years I've lived all over the West Side of Chicago, and as such have done the majority of my grocery shopping in the fruiterias rather than the florescently glamourous Jewel Osco or even the more ritzy Whole Foods. It's been a struggle weening myself off the cheap frozen meals, Hostess cupcakes, and potato chips that are inexpensive and available at every turn, but now my shopping list has come to contain plenty of cheap produce and staple ingredients that you can find at any neighborhood grocery store.

  1. Avocados - $.79-$2: Rich in vitamins and minerals, avocados are high in monounsaturated fats which help to sustain energy levels while satisfying your appetite. They're also highly versatile and a delicious addition to many dishes (guacamole is the obvious, but they're also great additions to sandwiches or even satisfying on their own).
  2. Tomatoes - $1/lb: High in vitamins A & C, tomatoes boost your immune system, and studies show that they also reduce your risk for cancer. Like avocados, tomatoes are another versatile ingredient that tastes good on its own (with a little salt and pepper, if that's your thing).
  3. Plantains - $1-2: "They're like a cross between a banana and a potato." Plantains fucking rule, guys. They taste good sweetened or unsweetened, and compliment pretty much every meal. They all have numerous uses as key ingredients to many dishes, including the famous jibarito, which uses flattened plantains instead of bread (and are an underappreciated feature of Chicago's unique culinary culture). Personally I think they're delicious just fried with butter and cinnamon sugar.
  4. Corn Tortilla Products - $.49-3: I usually buy corn chips, tostadas, or tortillas instead of bread because they're cheaper, last longer, and are lower in fat & carbs. Plus, you can do a lot more with tortillas than bread, and it's easy to get creative.
  5. Kidney Beans - $.79: I buy them in a can. I'm not all fancy with my raw beans that I have to cook for hours before they can be eaten. Beans are high in protein and low in cholesterol, so they're good for your heart and your energy. You can make chilli with them, or the typical contemporary pauper's meal of rice and beans, or cook them with spices on their own (I flavor mine with a hint of balsamic vinegar). They also taste good with any of the above ingredients. (Are you getting a sense of a pattern here?)
In addition, the two spices I always have on hand are salt & pepper Adobo ($1-2) and fresh garlic ($1-2). Feta cheese is a little pricey but compliments all of these flavors, and when I can't afford that I opt for parmesan (cheese is very important in my world). With these staples, I can make a variety of different dishes, and if I'm in the mood for a salad, or pasta, or a steak, I can use most of these foods to make a well-rounded, nutritious dish while just picking up a few extra things. The best thing is that you can find all of these foods at your local corner grocery store, supporting local businesses while eating healthy and spending less money.

No comments:

Post a Comment